Kaïcedra has been supporting rural communities in northern Burkina Faso for ten years in the fields of education, health, food aid and women's mobility.
Created in 2010, Kaïcedra directly supports Burkinabe villagers to set up their own projects and initiatives to meet the most urgent needs of their community.
The Association works directly with partners on site, without intermediaries. When security conditions are good, we travel to Burkina Faso to monitor the progress of actions and projects and hold regular follow-up meetings via tools such as videoconferencing and instant messages.
Examples of our actions :
- Schooling of children who wish to attend school but who do not have the financial means to enroll
- Mutual health insurance for children and the destitute ones health insurance, wound prevention and treatment, rural health awareness, distribution of hygiene kits)
- Subsidy for bicycles at social prices for women who want to work and earn enough to support their families and so that girls can finally go to school, which is more than 8km on foot from their village
- Construction and management of a cultural center to welcome young people from the surrounding area in various activities: library, study and tutoring area, cultural entertainment room, cinema, debate club and theatre
- Construction of education and healthcare infrastructure
2019/2020 activity report
The association supported 120 pupils in nursery school in order to improve learning conditions and provide them with a framework enabling them to acquire the basics of French (oral and written) and the calculation necessary for their entry into primary school. They are also covered by the health insurance company and have access to a snack and a hot meal per day.
Thanks to our active members and donations, we sponsored 137 elementary school children, 59 college students and 1 university students during the 2018/2019 school year. The sponsorship includes school fees and supplies, school uniforms, bags and shoes, lunch in the canteen, membership of the health insurance company as well as support classes and a bicycle for schoolchildren.
Our objectives for the start of the 2020/2021 school year are to continue to support the 120 children in kindergarten, sponsor 15 primary school children and 5 additional schoolgirls.
During the 2019/2020 school year, the acquisition of new teaching materials for the library, the electrification of the blackboard area, as well as the construction of 3 covered structures and a concrete floor have enabled the Irim Cultural Centre to continue to develop and become more functional.
The establishment of a formal mentoring programme and the hiring of a full-time centre manager has greatly enhanced the Centre's ability to serve Irim's students.
From mid-March 2020, the Centre was closed for the majority of people due to the containment introduced to combat the Covid-19 epidemic. It remained open exclusively for students preparing for their exams.
Mutualized health insurance
In June 2020, the mutual health insurance counted 3’243 members (Irim as well as 56 other villages). Each affiliate pays the equivalent of CHF 10 of insurance per year and has access to three complete free treatments.
In 2019/2020, our local team treated 210 wounds.
We also distributed 337 hygiene kits to children in kindergarten and CP1 and CP2, each containing a net, soap dish, toothbrushes, toothpaste tubes and soaps. Awareness sessions were also associated with the distributions.
Distributions have been organised to help the inhabitants of the Irim region and refugees, who have increased from 1,200 to 2,200 people since July 2019.
There have been two distributions of 34 tons for the inhabitants and three distributions of 38 tons of food for the refugees.
Bicycles at social prices
Between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020, Kaïcedra funded 200 bicycles at social prices for women working in market gardening and for high school girls sponsored by Kaïcedra.
We plan to purchase and help maintain bicycles for 200 women.
Kaïcedra & UTMB®
The sale of solidarity bibs as part of the UTMB 2021 will support Kaïcedra's concrete actions:
- Schooling of children who wish to attend school but who do not have the financial means to enroll. 1 bib = 10 students enrolled for one year.
- Food distribution to malnourished families who can regain their strength and survive periods of famine. 1 bib = 1000 people fed for 1 month.
- Free care for children and the poor (mutualised health insurance, wound prevention and treatment, awareness of certain diseases - sometimes fatal). 1 bib = 100 free wound treatments.
- Bicycles at social prices so that women can get back to work and earn enough to support their families and so that girls can finally go to school, which is more than 8km on foot from their village. 1 bib = 50 subsidized bicycles.
- Construction and management of a cultural center to welcome young people from the surrounding areas: library, study and school support area, cultural entertainment room, cinema club and theatre. 1 bib = management of the Center for one year.
A few lines on the Kaïcedra team's experience during the 2019 UTMB®
Throughout the week we were able to live and share your sporting passion with this large family of volunteers and enthusiasts. Everything was wonderfully prepared so that runners and crews could experience the different races in the best possible conditions.
Our team on site vibrated with our four committed runners but also with all of you during the presentation evening. What a wonderful spirit of sharing emerged from all the speeches and testimonies! We are proud to be part of this supportive family.
A huge thank you to our runners :
- Xavier Defour
- Pierre Eisenhuth
- Benjamin Guyonnet
- Ivan Zaguirre
Carole, Françoise et Stéphan.