Prepare and test your equipment
The choice of suitable equipment is a key factor in the success of your race. Ultra-endurance requires thorough preparation, including the choice of the equipment that you take with you.
The month of August in the Mont-Blanc area can be very hot (more than 30°C), but it can also be very cold (up to -10°C experienced above 2000m), with rain, hail or even snow. Your equipment must be suitable for confronting all types of conditions and enable you to spend one or two nights on the race route, according to the speed of your progression. In the case of an incident, your equipment must enable you to await help in sufficiently safe conditions.
The UTMB® imposes obligatory equipment which all runners must have with them permanently to avoid risk of penalty. Checks are carried out during the races. We can only encourage runners to also take with them the equipment which is highly recommended, as well as the equipment that we advise them to have.It is essential to be able to adapt your equipment to your reality, test it during training sessions in varying conditions and take everything that will be useful and necessary. Weight is a concern, but don't be too minimalist. Optimise your chances of success and your performance through judicious choice.
THE IDEAL WATERPROOFING SYSTEM FOR TRAIL RUNNING
POWERED BY OUTDRY
A waterproofing system for footwear that is lightweight, comfortable and durable. The OutDry system offers these features under all weather conditions:
Rain: stay dry and lightweight
Snow: stay dry, lightweight and be protected from cold
Dry conditions: dissipates sweat
Main characteristics of a racing shoe with the OutDry waterproof syste:
- WATERPROOFNESS: thanks to a waterproof breathable membrane applied directly to footwear uppers which doesn’t allow water to get in.
- LIGHTWEIGHT: because water cannot penetrate through the outer shell, grit, sand, mud and water will not collect and stagnate between the outer upper and the lining. Meaning you no longer need to carry this excess weight around your feet during "long-distance" races. Moreover the OutDry system insures that the upper material absorbs less water and dries much faster.
- BREATHABILITY & THERMAL COMFORT: thanks to a much larger volume of dry air between the foot and the waterproof barrier.
- PERFECT FIT: thanks to an ultra-thin membrane. There are no folds, no seams, and no seam-sealing tape. This eliminates potential points of friction with the foot.
In the mountain races, with many paths at altitude, weather conditions can be very difficult (night, wind, cold, rain or snow), requiring special equipment. The OutDry technology is the best system for the trail runner who is anxious to have the best possible protection against the weather.
Some technical data regarding OutDry technology performances
1. Comparison test between a footwear using a standard bootie waterproofing system (sample 1) and OutDry (sample 2) measuring the weight gain after 48h in a suspended sand/mud solution.
Test made at SATRA Laboratory following TM446 standard – April 2016
2. Comparison test between footwear using a standard bootie waterproofing system (sample A) and OutDry (sample B) measuring the thermal comfort after 10 minutes in water centrifuged (equivalent to one day under rain).
Test made at SATRA Laboratory following TM436 standard – April 2012
For further information on OutDry technology, visit our website www.outdry.com