Qualifying races - Regulations
A qualifying race is a race which allows, according to its difficulty, the acquisition of between 1 and 6 qualification points.
Only trail races can be qualifying races. For the definition of a trail race: click here.
Road races, triathlons, multi-sport races and orienteering races are not subjects of qualifying races for the UTMB®.
The evaluation of the races, and therefore the distribution of points, is managed by the ITRA (International Trail Running Association). The UTMB®, on the basis of the number of points attributed by the ITRA, however are alone in judging whether a race presents all the criteria to be a qualifying race, to register it on the list and to award the organiser with the corresponding logo.
Number of points necessary for the 2020 registration
Each race included in this list has been attributed with from 1 to 6 points.
In order to register, it is necessary to have gained the required number of points by finishing, between 01/01/2018 and 31/12/2019 exclusively (*), any of the races included in this list:
- To register for the UTMB®, it is necessary to have a minimum of 10 points from a maximum of 2 races.
- To register for the TDS®, it is necessary to have a minimum of 8 points in 1 or 2 races.
- To register for the CCC®, it is necessary to have a minimum of 6 points in 1 or 2 races.
- To register for the OCC, it is necessary to have a minimum of 4 points in 1 or 2 races.
(*) 2017 finishers of the UTMB® races may equally use these races as qualifying races.
If you have abandoned during a race, there is no way that this race can be taken in to account.
It will not be possible to register for the 2020 UTMB®, CCC®, TDS® or OCC by making reference to a race not included in this list.
The only qualifying list, available for consultation is on our web-site, is valid. The Organisation is not responsible for inaccurate, obsolete or untruthful information supplied by people foreign to the Organisation.
The Organisation equally is not responsible in the case of the absence of a race in the list of qualifying races. It is up to each organiser, who so wishes, to request accreditation as a qualifying race for the UTMB®. Runners who would like a race to be a qualifying race for the UTMB® must make the request with the organisers of that race.
Controlling qualifying races
All the qualifying races used by runners to finalise their registration are verified, against the official race results.
The Organisation takes in to account each individual’s result (relay or team event included).
The runner must be sure that they appear in the official results for the stated race, and that their first and surnames have the correct spelling.
In the case of an inexact declaration of qualifying races, not conforming to the regulations or untrue, the organisation reserves the right to cancel the registration without refunding fees paid and to remove their advantage for the following year (co-efficient 2 or priority) in the case of a negative draw.
Our engagement as organiser is to apply this regulation in a rigorous and identical manner for, without exception, ALL runners and therefore we do not accept any requests for exceptions to this rule.
Qualifying races - Add
How do you sign a race up on the list of qualifying races for the UTMB®?
It is up to each organiser, who so wishes, to request accreditation as a qualifying race for the UTMB®.
This request is made in 2 stages:
- All requests for race accreditation as a qualifying race for the UTMB® have to be the object of a preliminary evaluation carried out by the ITRA. The latter are able to verify the measurement (distance and ascent/descent) and evaluate the difficulty of the race (awarding 0 to 6 points). ITRA will send a confirmation email that will contain an identification number for every edition (this number will also be displayed in your ITRA organizer space).
To consult the evaluation method used by the ITRA, and to make your evaluation request, please click here.
- Once your race is assessed by ITRA, if you wish to make a request to be add in our list of qualifying races, click here.
Without questioning the number of points attributed by the ITRA, the UTMB® is alone to judge whether a race presents all the criteria to be a qualifying race.
This whole procedure must be made BEFORE registration for our 2020 events opens.
Reminder: runners can not make the request for the addition of a race. It is up to the organiser of the race concerned to do so!